Mindfulness, photography and drawing books
I would highly recommend the following books to learn more (links to Amazon.co.uk):
- The little pocket book of mindfulness – Anna Black – excellent dip into what mindfulness means and examples of how to fit it into your life.
- Mindfulness – a practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world by Mark Williams and Danny Penman (with CD)
- Mindfulness is a superpower! Great video from Happify.com on YouTube
- Could mindfulness make you a better artist?
- The practice of contemplative photography – seeing the world with fresh eyes – Andy Karr and Michael Wood.
- Kim Manley Ort – Adventures in Seeing
- The Zen of Creativity – John Daido Loori (plus great YouTube clip here..)
Mindful photography, art and drawing – websites
- leeaspland.com * free ebook
How to be an artist
Since starting my creative journey this year, I have read a lot of books – a lot of art books which I won’t go into here, but also a lot of books about being an artist.
This interests me greatly, because firstly, it took me a long time to consider myself an artist, and secondly, it is a huge jump from doing art, being an artist, to actually being a successful artist (because actually doing the art is the least of it!).
Following a dream, doing what you love and being who you really are is not easy – it requires a leap of faith and some techniques to help smooth the way. So the books below have been very useful and I recommend anyone in my position reads them and take from them what you will!
They are all light reads, full of gems.
- Think Like an Artist – Will Gompertz
- Steal Like an Artist – Austin Kleon
- Show your work! – Austin Kleon
- How to be an Artist – Michael Atavar
- Whatever you think, think the opposite – Paul Arden
- Ignore Everybody – and 39 other keys to creativity – Hugh MacLeod
- Evil Plans – escape the rat race and start doing something you love – Hugh MacLeod
(Links through to Amazon.co.uk).